Monday, March 31, 2014

All Work and No Play


I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. While I enjoyed the week off of school for Spring Break, I'm dying for something more substantial-a real vacation or maybe just some days off where I don't actually have any obligations or errands to tend to. I spent most of my break playing catch up on things for class and working at the Morgan. I indulged in a little reading for pleasure, a rarity these days, as I'm usually stuck with my nose in a textbook, and I even got a few workouts in, hoping that more regular exercise will give me the extra energy that I so desperately need.

Even though I got a lot done, if I'm being completely honest, I procrastinated on a few things as well, namely, my research paper for the Dada and Surrealism class I'm taking. In fact, I'm putting off working on my paper in favor of writing this blog instead. I hate writing research papers. Not because of the writing part, that part is usually pretty easy for me, but I'm terrible at the length part. I'm better at saying what I want to say in as few words as possible than I am at reaching some pre-set page limit. Anyway, the deadline for this paper is rapidly approaching and there is only a little more than a month left of the semester, which means I'm starting to really feel the pressure. I'd like to just buckle down and get some serious work done on this paper and on my pieces that will be due when I have final critique, but in order to settle in for a good long chunk of productive work, one needs free time. I don't have free time, so I'm trying to squeeze everything in during the couple of hours I might have in the morning if I get up early enough or in the evening, after I'm already mentally a physically exhausted from work, school, the apprenticeship, life in general, etc. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Probably. Am I going to make it through? Absolutely. Because there is no other choice. I'd cry about it, but that would just take too much time. In the meantime, I'm just going to have to deal with feeling overwhelmed and fighting the growing urge to blow everything off and quit these responsibilities in favor of napping on the couch with the dog, eating chips and watching television in my pajamas.


No comments:

Post a Comment